We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend Romit Dasgupta, who is faculty at UWA and a...
Call for Papers for 5th International Symposium on Asian Languages and Literatures
Intersection of Cultures
Cultures evolve as a response to different and competing individual and collective needs and aspirations that could be dynamic, permeable and transparent. Intersections are points that unite different paths. They are associated with not only meeting but also disintegration. When we consider the concept of intersection as a mental image beyond its physical denotation, we realize that it connotes the same meanings from a cultural standpoint, too: points of interclusion, convergence, and divergence. Do cultures prosper as they approach one another? Do they become subjective when they stray away from each other? Are the intersections nourishing elements or traps that make cultures monotonous?
ADES is moving the coordinates of the intersection to Astana on 20-22 June, 2019. ADES V is inviting you to consider culture, which becomes more harmonious as it intersects, differs as it strays, becomes pluralistic as it comes together, from the perspectives of its components in the capital of Kazakhstan, hosted by Nazarbayev University.
The Symposium will be open to disciplines such as Language, Literature, Cultural Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Philosophy, Fine Arts, Theology, History, History of Arts and Multidisciplinary Studies. Abstracts are welcome in the following topic strands or other related topics:
|Culture||– Intersection and intersectionality from a theoretical perspective
– Ethnic and anthropological intersections
– Propaganda in terms of intersections
– Intersections in religion
– Cultural identity
– The mobile dynamic of intersection: Immigration
– Intersection in visual texts
– Social construction of culture and gender
– Cultural identities as indicators of intersection
|Literature||– Intersections between Classical and Contemporary literature
– Interaction between Immigrant and local literature
– Memory, space, belonging
– Diaspora Literatures
– The reflection of intersection between eras on literary texts
– Multicultural poetry and prose
– The intersection of literature and other forms of art
– Literature beyond cultures
– The historical spots of intersection: Texts on travel, diplomacy, and trade
– Intersections and theories of literary translation
|Language||– Universal and local language policies in terms of intersections
– Social gender and intersectionality
– The temporal evolution of language
– The new media language
– Language as a concept of power and domination
– Language, identity, and culture
– The evolution of language
– The lexicology of intersection
– The effect of multiculturalism on stylistics
– The effect of mass migration on languages
|Education||– The effect of intersections on educational policies
– Multicultural education
– The effect of immigration on educational policies
– The world that transforms via immigration and education
– Interdisciplinary approaches to language teaching and translation
– Educational theories beyond cultures
Abstracts for poster and paper presentations will be accepted.
- Abstracts must be submitted online via the official website of the symposium: http://ades.erciyes.edu.tr.
- Abstracts should be written in English. Explanation regarding the language of the presentation is given below under the subheading “Presentation”.
- The title for the abstract should include max 12 words.
- Abstracts should be between 150 and 250 words.
- Abstracts should be followed by 3 to 6 keywords.
- Abstracts should not be published or presented elsewhere before.
- The deadline for abstract submission is 16 November, 2018.
- Abstracts that are accepted will be announced on 7 December, 2018 at the symposium official website.
- The registration fee is 200 USD for regular registration and 150 USD for early bird registration, and it includes symposium kit and coffee breaks.
- For abstracts with two or more authors, the registration fee should be paid by each author attending the symposium.
- Authors who will present more than one paper will also pay for each paper separately.
- Details about registration fee payment methods will be announced later.
- The deadline for early bird payment of registration fee is 18 January, 2019.
- The deadline for payment of registration fee is 19 April, 2019.
- The duration for each presentation is 15 minutes. A 5-minute Q&A (question and answer) session will follow each presentation.
- Papers can be presented in Kazakh Language, Turkish, Russian or English.
- No translation facility will be provided for the presentations.
- Session rooms will be equipped with a computer and a projector.
- Participants will be given a certificate of presentation or participation.
Travel and Accommodation
- The expenses for transportation (local and international) and accommodation are to be paid by participants.
- Detailed information and recommendations about these issues will be uploaded at the symposium official website.
Publication of Papers
- Full papers presented at the Symposium should be written in MLA style (8th Edition).
- Deadline for the submission of full papers will be announced later.
- Full papers will be published as proceedings.
- All full papers will be evaluated by the Advisory Board and the ones that are selected will be published by an international publishing company as a book.
|16 November, 2018||Deadline for Abstract Submission|
|7 December, 2018||Announcement of Accepted Abstracts|
|18 January, 2019||Deadline for Early Bird Registration|
|19 April, 2019||Deadline for Regular Registration|
|20-22 June, 2019||Symposium|
For further information or questions, please e-mail email@example.com
Deadline for the Abstract Submission
ADES in Numbers
Erciyes University in Kayseri, Turkey, Nazarbayev University in Astana, Kazakhstan and Akhmet Yassawi International Kazakh-Turkish University in Turkestan, Kazakhstan, have...
Please click for more information about Astana…
Abstract submission process for the 5th International Symposium on Asian Languages and Literatures (ADES V), which will be held on...
Keynote speakers will be announced soon.