Travel and Accommodation
Aurangabad is an important city in the state of Maharashtra, India. It sees a lot of international tourist traffic due to world heritage sites, Ajanta & Ellora caves. Aurangabad, a dream destination of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb, founded in 1610, is known today, as one of the four important cities in Maharashtra. The city is heading towards rapid industrial growth, but retains its past glory and charms, heritage and traditions. Conspicuously seen on the Deccan plateau, it has a rich culture and a plethora of magnificent arts on display.
The beauty of the globe is known through its nature, the culture and its people. The world is known for its various people living together with different culture, multi cuisine and its awesome creation to make this earth a beautiful destination to live with. Across the world the cultural sites of every society has embarked its impressions over the civilizations. It is the only place where the minds come together to construct it with a vision. Ancient civilizations had impressed the creative societies across the world to create and develop a better place for life to survive. The argumentative nature of human makes this possible without entertaining the elements of destruction, which is human instinct. Ancient civilization has set a benchmark by creating important associations of art forms with the human development, be it with art and architecture or political and cultural, it has nurtured human life and leads it to development.
India is an ancient civilization. The historicity of the land can be traced from the Haddapa and Mohanjedaro civilization. A land of multi culture and it has its history be it in a form of invasion, destruction and reconstruction. The richness of the land is known through its literary and cultural development. The great epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata have proved its stance in the world of classicality. The contribution in the field of science and technology, mathematics health sciences and performing arts have taken this land to heights of intellectual civilization of the world. In this beautiful land of ancient civilization the state of Maharashtra has carved its impressions after independence. The cities of this gifted state have contributed in the development of the nation through its culture, the industrial development and service to humanity.
This city Aurangabad was established by Malik Ambar, in 1610 A.D, on a site known as Kharki. This city is named after Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb. It was called Fatehpur before it took its present name. This city is gateway to the World Heritage Sites of Ajanta and Ellora caves. The best example of the creativity for the world is in the forms of the painting and sculpture. Ajanta is known for its Buddhist murals and this world heritage site recently has a feather in its cap with the replica of certain important caves created for the study and research. This replica has a show of the making of the Ajanta. The caves have its own beauty along with the replica which takes us on a journey to the period when it is made. The Ellora caves have Hindu, jian and Buddhist caves. The sculpture narrating the stories of the mythologies are making the land intellect and people wise. Apart from this, Aurangabad Caves are the Buddhist caves adjoin to the university campus again proving the creative sensibility of the people of the land. The city has celebrated its four hundredth year of its existence; all these caves are the testimony of at least 1000 years of history. The Mughal architecture has carved its niche in the development of the creativity of the city. With the Bibi Ka Maqbara replica of the Tajmahal also called as the Taj of Deccan. It rejoices the love for mother in the form of awesome architectural structure. The evidence of the cities historicity can be traced through the Panchakki . a scientific innovation for grinding the grains for a large number of students. The Daultabad fort, where Tughlaq had shifted his capital from Delhi to Daultabad, is confirming the construction of the fort, which was from the Devgiri dynasty. The saints and sufis existence on this land proves its faith in logic and rationale. From Paithan to Khultabad the Saints and Sufis have blessed the land for the rationality and logic. The soil of the region has produced a large number of saints and social reformers like Sant Gyaneshwar, Sant Eknath, etc.
The city has been a nursery for grooming literary personalities like Wali Dakhni, Siraj Aurangabadi, Laxmi Narayan Shafique; Sikander Ali Wajd, Quazi Salim, Bashar Nawaz and it has provided a stage to the revolutionary political thinkers like Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar who has built a hub of educational institutes for the society seeking for the knowledge , Shri Govind Bhai Shroff and Dr. Rafiq Zakaria also followed the path of Dr. Ambedkar developed educational institutes across the city. In fact the city has medical, dental, homeopathy colleges with engineering, management and Hotel management institute to impart modern education to the people. The university with 52 different post graduate and research centre of various discipline ranging from humanities , social science, science, law, sports and technology contributing in the growth of the nation.
To understand this city, it has beautiful museums Sunheri Mahal Museum, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and History Museum at the University. These museums are the housing art treasure of the region.
The industrial development of the city has its roots in the history itself. The Himroo shawl and Paithani sarees have always being loved fabric of the people for the festive occasions. The industrial growth with three industrial sectors at Chikalthana, Waluj and Shendra speaks of the convenient destination for the development of the manufacture and transportation. Automobile industries like Skoda and Bajaj pharmaceutical industries like Wokhadrt and various beverage productions lead the city to contribute in make in India project. The growth of infrastructure is the prime source of development of the city. Aurnagabad is listed among the new plan of the central government for smart city.
Aurangabad, better known as the City of Gates or the Heart of Maharashtra is situated in the centre of the state adjoin the boundaries with Nashik, Pune Vidharbha and Marahtwada, surrounded by hills on all the four sides, it boasts of mesmerizing scenery.
Aurangabad is visited by a large number of tourists every year, who come here to explore its architecture, and find a better place to stay in the five star hotels. The hotel industry has marked its place in the tourist arena. The connectivity with air, train and road makes this city a place to be associated with the rest of the world.
The huge sports complex and sports facility has given place for players in the national squad. The medical facility has developed the health tourism in the city with multi special hospitals and better facility with a dynamic and energetic team of specialized doctors. The infrastructure is so cozy that the intellectuals are happy to have seminars and academic discussions in the city.
Apart from this the city has a rich cultural taste. The various dance academies have their performances in the various theatres. The art connoisseurs have their space for exhibitions. The performing art has nurtured many artists and trains the budding learners with the facility.
The town planning and its development plan will surely make this city a better destination for intellectual and innovative expression across the world. A land of knowledge and commitment of the people will surely take a leap in making the destination a prime location in the world.
- Tourist interest places in Maharashtra
Distances from major Cities in Maharashtra and the places of Tourist interest by road:
- Mumbai – Aurangabad: 400 Km.
- Pune – Aurangabad: 237 Km.
- Nasik – Aurangabad: 190 Km.
- Shirdi – Aurangabad: 144 Km.
- Ajanta – Aurangabad: 107 Km.
- Ellora – Aurangabad: 29 Km.
- Daulatabad – Aurangabad: 14 Km.
- Nanded – Aurangabad : 260 Km.
- Tourist interest places in India from Aurangabad
- Delhi – 1270 Km.
- Agra – 1028 Km.
- Jaipur – 999 Km
- Banaras/ Varanasi – 1223 Km
- Uttrakhand – 1620 Km
- Khajuraho -996 Km
- Jammu- 1862 Km
- Kashmir -1550 Km
- Shimla – 1618 Km
- Hyderabad -586 Km
- Goa – 650 Km
- Mysore -1106 Km
- Ooty – 1230 Km
- Cochin – 1599 Km
- Pondicherry -1427
For more details about Incredible India Tourism please visit
For more details about India please visit
Aurangabad by Air
Aurangabad has its own Chikalthana airport distance of merely 11 km from the city of Aurangabad. Chikalthana Airport is equipped with all the modern facilities (airport code: IXU). You can take direct flights from Mumbai to Aurangabad, Delhi and Hyderabad to Aurangabad as they operate on regular intervals.
Air India and Jet Airways have a number of regular Direct flights from Mumbai, Delhi & Hyderabad to Aurangabad. The nearest international airports are Mumbai and Pune.
Flights to Aurangabad
- FLIGHTS FROM MUMBAI
- Air India AI 442, AI864, AI635, AI348, AI806, AI809, AI 677
- Jet Airways – 9W7148, 9W-313
- Timing round a clock
- FLIGHTS FROM NEW DELHI
New Delhi to Aurangabad mostly flights comes via Mumbai. Direct flight is very few
- Air India – AI 349, AI 665, AI636, AI102, AI624, AI805, AI602, AI317, AI887, AI657, AI865, AI863, AI24, AI 441,
- Jet Airways – 9W-352, 9W-384, 9W-304, 9W-332, 9W-336, 9W-373, 9W-362, 9W-334, 9W-356, 9W-312, 9W-352, 9W-384, 9W-302, 9W-358, 9W-316, 9W-340, 9W-308
- Timing – round a clock
- FLIGHTS FROM HYDERABAD
Hyderabad to Aurangabad mostly flights comes via Mumbai. Direct flight is very few
- Air India – AI 620, AI616, AI51, AI618, AI559, AI543
- Jet Airways – 9W-349, 9W-7081, 9W-7019, 9W-452, 9W-7080, 9W-458, 9W-349, 9W-602, 9W-458
- Timing – round a clock
Booking of flight tickets here on the government Official web-site:
Booking of flight tickets here on the make my trip search engine Official web-site:
Aurangabad by Train
Aurangabad is a railway station of South-Central railway on Manmad – Secunderabad section (Railway Station code – AWB). The city has direct rail links to important Indian cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad etc.. Aurangabad Railway Station is an a modernIndian railway station, with an information booth, waiting rooms, rest rooms, book stalls, canteen and a computerized ticket booking office. Wheel chairs are available on request from the Station Master’s office located on Platform No. 1. No trolleys are available. Porters can be hired to help with luggage. Please utilize the services only of licensed porters wearing red uniforms having numbered badges and pay them a fixed rate. The official approved rates in Maharashtra currently are as follows-
INR-50 for up to 10 kgs/3 pieces of luggage (whichever is less)
INR-30 per additional 5 kgs/piece of luggage (whichever is less)
No receipt is given by the porters. You can tip the porters up to INR-10 if you desire.
Trains are quite comfortable and a fairly fast mode of transport. Train fares are extremely cheap and affordable.
The difference between a lowest-fare air-ticket and the highest class train fare is remarkable. E.g. The highest fare (Air-conditioned First Class Overnight Sleeper) for Mumbai – Aurangabad travel (around 375 Km) is only about INR-1550/-, or INR-600/- for an air-conditioned Chair Car in a superfast Janshatabdi for a day journey of 6 ½ hours, while the lowest air-fare of any low cost Airline, starts from around INR.5000/-!
Indian Railways offer various options including air-conditioned compartments like air-conditioned First Class (railway code ‘H’), air-conditioned 2-Tier Sleeper (railway code ‘A’), air-conditioned 3-Tier Sleeper (railway code ‘B’), and for day trains air-conditioned Chair-Cars (railway code ‘C’). IRCTC provides complementary blankets, pillows and hand towels on all air-conditioned sleeper class compartments (H, A & B). Apart from this reserved non air-conditioned sleeper class (railway code ‘S’) and Second Class Seating (railway code ‘D’) are available on all sleeper trains and seating trains respectively.
- TRAINS FROM MUMBAI (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus CSTM / Dadar Rail)
- Tapovan express (7617) – Dep-06:15 hrs Arr-13:15 hrs, Distance 374 KM From (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus CSTM
- Aurangabad Jan-Shatabdi (12071) – Dep-14:00 hrs Arr-20:10 hrs. Distance 365 KM From Dadar
- Nandigram Express (11401) – Dep-16:35 hrs Arr-23:40 hrs , Distance 374 KM From Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus CSTM
Mumbai, Dadar, Thane, Kalyan, Igatpuri, Nashik, Manmad, Nagarsol, Rotegaon, Lasur, Aurangabad, Jalna, Partur, Selu, Mawat road, Parbhani,Purna,HS Nanded, Mudkhed, bhokar, Himayatnager, Saharsrakund Kin, Adilabad, Pimpalkhuti Lingat Kayar, Wani, Miraj Jn, Warora, Hinganghat, Sevagram, Nagpur 16:15 hrs.
- Devagiri Express (17057) – Dep-21:10 hrs Arr-04:05 hrs, Distance 374 KM
From Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus CSTM
Mumbai, Dadar, Thane, Kalyan, Igatpuri, Nashik, Manmad,Nagarsol, Rotegaon,Lasur, Aurangabad, Jalna, Partur, Selu, Mawat road, Parbhani,Purna, HS Nanded, Mudkhed, Umari, Dharmabad, Basar, Nizamabad, Kamareddi, Aakanapet, Mirzapalli, Bolarum, Secunderabad.
- TRAINS FROM DELHI, Amritsar, Agra, Bhopal
- Sachkand Superfast (ASD NED) Express (12716) – Dep-13:20 hrs Arr-11:30 hrs Distance 374 KM From NDLS New Delhi
Amritsar, Beas, Jallandher, Phagwara Jn, Ludhiana, Khanna, Sirhind Jn, Rajpura Jn., Ambala Cantt Jn., Kurukshetra Jn., Karnal, Panipat Jn, New-Delhi, Fadidabad, Mathura Jn, Agra Cantt, Dhaulpur, Morena, Gwaliar, Dabra, Jhansi Jn, lalitpur Bina Jn, Bhopal Jn, Itarsi JN, Khandwa, Burhanpur, Bhusawal Jn, Jalgaon Jn., Manmad Jn, Aurangabad, Jalna, Parbhani, HS Nanded.
- TRAINS FROM HYDERABAD (Secunderabad / Kacheguda Railway Station)
- Ajanta Express (17064) – Dep-18:10 hrs Arr-03:45 hrs. , Distance 508 KM, from Secunderabad.
Secunderabad, Nizamabad, Dharmabad, Nanded, Parbhani, Jalna, Aurangabad, Manmad, 6:55 hrs.
- Devagiri Express (17058) – Dep-12:25 hrs Arr-23:20 hrs, Distance 508 KM, from Secunderabad.
Secunderabad, Nizamabad, Dharmabad, Nanded, Parbhani, Jalna, Aurangabad, Manmad, Lasalgaon, Nasik, Dewlali Cantt., Igatpuri, Kalyan, Thane, Dadar, Mumbai, 7:10 hrs
Availability of trains can be checked here on the Indian Rail Official web-site:
Booking of train tickets here on the Indian Railway Official web-site:
Rail links via Manmad Junction: Manmad is the nearest railway junction on Central Railway wherein trains to all parts of India are available. Manmad – Aurangabad journey can be made by a good connection of trains or by road in a span of 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If you have a connecting train, make sure that there is at least a gap of 2 hours in the departures. In case you miss the connecting train, due to late running of a previous train, you can avail of a full refund at any of the two stations (i.e. connecting station or destination station).
BUS SERVICES TO AURANGABAD
- From Mumbai – Aurangabad can be reached by road from Mumbai via Pune or Nasik. The best option if you cannot afford flights is train though. Via road Pune is a faster option despite a bit longer distance. MSRTC (Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation) and private buses ply regularly and is an overnight journey. MSRTC operates their premium world class Air-conditioned Volvo B7R Bus service on this route named ‘Shivneri, MSRTC (Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation) ‘. A few recommended private buses from Mumbai would be Royal Cars (AC), Konduskar(AC), Ghatge Patil-Snozzer (AC Sleeper), Humsafar (Non AC budget carrier). Book your tickets only from authorized travel agents in Mumbai. A single ticket on Air-conditioned bus is from INR-600/- to INR-700/-, Air-conditioned sleeper bus is from INR-800/- to INR-999/-, and for budget Non Air-conditioned buses is INR-400/- to INR-500/-. Do not pay any agent more than this.
- From Pune if you do not wish to drive then the safest and most reliable option is an MSRTC (Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation) Shivneri Air-conditioned Bus Service. The fleet consists of all Volvo B7R-9400 buses and are extremely safe, comfortable and fast. MSRTC Shivneri buses depart every hour from Shivajinagar Bus Stand starting from early morning 6.00 AM till late night up to 1.00 AM. For budget travellers, an award winning Non Air-conditioned semi luxury bus service also operated by MSRTC is available. buses depart every half an hour from Shivajinagar Bus Stand starting from early morning 5.00 AM till late night up to 1.00 AM. These are non Air-conditioned but comfortable buses. Avoid taking Air-conditioned and Non Air-conditioned private Buses. They never leave and reach on time!
- Booking of bus tickets here on the Maharashtra goverment Official web-site:
- Apart from these cities Aurangabad has direct bus links from cities like Hyderabad, Solapur, Kolhapur, Goa, Ahmedabad, Indore and many more.
- Booking bus tickets here on the Redbus search engine Official web-site:
Information and recommendations about accomodation will be announced later.